- Cook lentils in chicken broth, salt and turmeric. Set aside.
- Sauteé onions, tomatoes, garlic and paprika in oil until onions turn translucent.
- Add squash, fish sauce, vinegar and crab paste.
- Cook until juices evaporate and squash is tender.
- Pour lentils over squash and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and garnish with green chillies.
Tuesday, July 02, 2013
Burmese Squash Cooked with Red Lentils
Select light green chayote squash which indicate they're still young and sweet. Chayote squash is also known as ‘Go Rar Kha Thee’ in Burmese and may be replaced with zucchini or bottle gourd.
1 cup red lentils, washed and drained
2 cups of chicken broth or water
salt to taste
¼ tsp. turmeric
4 medium chayote squash, peeled & cubed
2 medium onions, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder or paprika
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. crab or shrimp paste in oil
Salt to taste
2 green chillies, sliced in rings
Serve with hot steamed rice.