|Noodle Salad with Cilantro Dressing|
|Taster's Bowl (bottom right) garnished with |
fried onions & garlic, roasted sesame seeds,
crushed cashews and a squeeze of lime
The cilantro dressing is reminiscent of pesto which is usually made with basil and pine nuts. This dressing uses cilantro and cashew nuts, along with other Burmese ingredients. The salad can be eaten at room temperature, cold or microwaved for 30 seconds, just enough to take the chill off. I added fish tofu (similar to fish cake) to add some protein to the dish.
1 lb. (16 oz. pkg.) fresh rice noodles
7 oz. fish tofu
1 large bunch cilantro leaves & stems
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
4 Tbsp. garlic infused oil
1 tsp. roasted chili powder
1 tsp. white pepper powder
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup cashews
Deep fried onions
Deep fried garlic
Roasted sesame seeds
Lime, cut in wedges
- Cut cilantro bunch in half and soak in cold tap water until sediment settles in the bottom of the pan.
- Scoop cilantro leaves and stems off the top and drain.
- Chop garlic and place in blender along with the rest of the Dressing Ingredients.
- Puree dressing until cilantro dressing reaches pesto consistency, adding more oil if necessary.
- Set dressing aside to infuse flavours.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil, turn off the heat, blanch rice noodles & fish tofu for 10 seconds, drain & set aside.
- Toss noodles with dressing until thoroughly combined.
- Garnish with fried onions & garlic, roasted sesame seeds and a squeeze of lime juice.