6 large tomatoes
8 dates, deseeded and chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger root, cut in julienne strips
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, or to taste
1 small lump jaggery (gur)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or white)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. panch phoron *
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Cut a shallow + on the base of each tomato and submerge in boiling water until skin peels at +.
- Allow tomatoes to cool, peel, chop and set aside.
- Heat oil, temper panch phoron, cinnamon stick and star anise until seeds begin to sputter.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for about an hour on medium heat until liquid evaporates.
- Serve warm or chilled at the end of the meal.
- Nigella (Kalo Jeera/Kalonji)
- Fenugreek (Methi)