3 large carrots, peeled & chopped
1 large onion, peeled & chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 green chilies, diced
2 Tbsp. tamarind pulp/paste
1 cup simmering water
- Pressure-cook lentils for 10 minutes with 4 cups of water, salt to taste and turmeric powder.
- Wash and chop vegetables into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and sputter mustard seeds.
- Add onions, garlic, curry leaves & green chilies and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add sambar powder & tomatoes and stir well.
- Add vegetables, stir again and simmer over low heat until oil resurfaces.
- Add pressure-cooked lentils & simmering water (if necessary), cover and simmer until vegetables are cooked.
- Add tamarind pulp, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Adjust salt to taste, garnish with cilantro and remove from heat.