Wednesday, September 28, 2016
Alu Gobi Mattar - Potatoes, Cauliflower and Peas Curry
In this preparation, I've saved time by dicing onions instead of making a paste and used a whole can of pureed tomatoes to create the gravy. By parboiling the vegetables beforehand, the gravy permeates throughout the dish to tie in all the flavours. A handful of shredded cilantro gives a fresh and aromatic finish to this vegetable side.
2 cauliflowers, cut in bite-size florets
1 russet potato, cubed
1 cup frozen peas, brought to room temperature
4 + 2 Tbsp. extra light olive oil
2 cinnamon sticks, left whole
½ tsp. shah jeera or cumin seeds
2 medium onions, diced
2 tsp. ginger paste
1 tsp. garlic paste
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce (Hunts pureed tomatoes)
1 cup simmering water
2 – 3 green chilies, slit
1/2 cup cilantro, shredded
½ tsp. garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp. ghee
1. Heat 4 Tbsp. oil and brown potatoes, remove and brown cauliflower.
2. Add 1/2 cup water and simmer potatoes & cauliflower until almost done.
3. Remove vegetables from saucepan and heat remaining oil.
4. Sizzle cinnamon sticks & cumin seeds, add onions and fry until translucent.
5. Stir-fry with ginger & garlic pastes, green chilies & pureed tomatoes.
6. When oil resurfaces, return cauliflower and potatoes to pan.
7. Pour in remaining water & stir, cover and simmer over medium-low heat.
8. When potatoes soften, add peas and adjust salt to taste.
9. Add cilantro, cover and simmer for five more minutes.
10.Sprinkle garam masala powder over cauliflower, stir and remove from heat.
11. Garnish with ghee and serve with steamed rice or Indian bread.