When the GrandBoys (8 & 9 year-olds) have dinner with us once a week, it's a challenge to come up with tempting, yet nutritious meals. I was a little hesitant to try rice on them and was taken by surprise when they loved it and ask for more. Here the Spanish rice is served with chicken sausage with asiago cheese and spinach.
I made the rice the same way I make pulao/pilaf. The rice is washed until the water runs clear and left to drain in a sieve until it's needed. In order to avoid detection, the onions, peppers, carrots and tomatoes are diced into minute pieces.
1 pkg. ranch fiesta dip mix
3-4 petite rainbow peppers, minced
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onions & garlic until translucent & toss in all the minced vegetables.
- Add the dip mix, stir well & add rice.
- Stir, making sure every grain of rice is coated with contents in pan.
- Add corn & peas along with 4 cups simmering broth and bring to a boil.
- Adjust salt to taste, cover and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave covered for at least 10 minutes
- Garnish with green onions & cilantro and transfer to serving dish.