|Pui Shaak Chingri Maacher Chorchori|
1 lb. Malabar spinach, thick stems removed and chopped
8 oz. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Japanese eggplant, cubed, tossed with salt and left to drain in a sieve
1 sweet potato, peeled, cubed & soaked in water
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. Bengali 5-spice or panch phoron seeds
2 green chilies, diced
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. ginger paste
1/2 tsp. roasted & ground panch phoron
1/4 tsp. sugar
salt to taste
1 tsp. ghee for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, stir-fry shrimp until pink, remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sputter panch phoron seeds, stir-fry bay leaves, chilies and sweet potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Add eggplant and fry to a golden-brown.
- Tip spinach into skillet, along with panch phoron powder, ginger paste and salt to taste.
- When spinach wilts and all liquid has evaporated, return shrimp to skillet and sprinkle sugar over spinach.
- Garnish with ghee and serve over steamed Basmati rice or chapatis.