|Squash with Dried Shrimp|
This reminds me of Mum who made this often, but she used fresh shrimp. Dried whole shrimp has intense flavor but is chewy, so I microwaved the package of shrimp in a cup of water. To speed up the cooking process, I also pressure cooked this dish which softened the shrimp and cooked the squash in ten minutes.
Be careful with the salt because there's plenty of it in the dried shrimp.
5 chayote squash, peeled and cubed
1 (3 oz./85 gms.) pkg. dried shrimp
1 cup water
1 large onion, minced
1 large tomato, minced
1 tsp. garlic paste
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. Kashmiri mirch or paprika
1 green chili, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
salt to taste
- Microwave dried shrimp with water for 2 minutes on high.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker, add paprika, onions, garlic, chili and tomatoes.
- Stir-fry until tomatoes break down and oil resurfaces.
- Add squash and shrimp along with water and stir well.
- Cover pressure cooker, bring to full pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
- Allow pressure to dissipate completely before opening lid of pressure cooker.
- Adjust salt to taste and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with steamed Basmati or any long-grain rice.