2 bottle gourd or 4 Chayote Squash, peeled & cut in strips
1 lb. medium size shrimp, shelled and deveined
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 large onion
2 tsp. ginger paste
Salt to taste
3-5 green chilies, slit
1 tsp. ghee
- Peel gourd or squash and cut in matchsticks.
- Toss shrimp with salt, saute lightly in oil until pink and set aside.
- Sputter cumin seeds and diced chilies in hot oil.
- Add ginger paste, tomatoes and salt to taste, stir and simmer over medium heat until oil resurfaces.
- Add gourd/squash, stir well, cover and simmer over medium heat until cooked and all water has been absorbed by the vegetables.
- Add shrimp, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with garam masala, cilantro and ghee.
- Remove from heat and serve as a side dish with hot rice or naan.