1 cup plain (unflavoured) Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. roasted cumin powder
1 tsp. Bengali roasted five-spice powder (panch phoron)
4 large oriental eggplants, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 tsp. turmeric
Salt to taste
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. shah jeera or cumin seeds
2 dried red chilies, left whole
2 sliced onions
1 mustard oil
1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 – 3 hot green chillies, left whole
- Mix yogurt with the next 5 ingredients and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Coat eggplants with turmeric and salt, then fry in 3 Tbsp. oil until golden brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in same pan over medium-high heat and add cumin seeds & dried chilies.
- When the seeds begin to sputter and sizzle, add sliced onions and saute until translucent.
- Add fried eggplant, adjust salt to taste and cook for a few minutes.
- Turn heat down to low and add yogurt mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until the yogurt is thoroughly incorporated into the vegetables.
- Garnish with mustard oil, chopped cilantro & whole chilies and transfer to a serving dish.