|Tilapia Maacher Jhol|
1 lb. tilapia fish fillets, or any white fish, cut in pieces
1 Russet potato, cut in 12 pieces1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
6 Tbsp. mustard oil
1/4 tsp. nigella/kalonji seeds
2 green chilies or 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp. Hunt's tomato paste1 tsp. paprika or Kashmiri mirch
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
3 tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
1-1/2 cups simmering water
Dash of mustard oil
- Marinate fish & potatoes in salt and turmeric, fry to a light golden brown and set aside.
- Mix gravy ingredients and set aside.
- Heat oil over high heat and sputter nigella seeds and chilies.
- Turn heat down to medium, add gravy ingredients and simmer until oil resurfaces.
- Add tomatoes & potatoes and simmer until oil resurfaces.
- Add hot water and bring to a boil.
- Add fish and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste, garnish with a dash of mustard oil & green chilies and transfer to serving dish.
- Serve with steamed Basmati rice.