|Khayun Thee Nga Chauk Chet in Burmese|
Begun Shutki in Bengali
4 Oriental eggplant, cubed
4 + 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large onions, peeled & sliced
6 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp. chili powder or Kashmiri mirch
1 (8 oz.) package fried anchovies in soya bean oil
2 red chilies, diced
salt to taste
- Heat oven to 400°F and line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Toss eggplant with salt to taste and 1 Tbsp. oil.
- Bake eggplant at 400°F for 10 minutes, turn over & bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven and turn oven off.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry garlic & onions for 5 minutes, add tomatoes & simmer until oil resurfaces.
- Make a well in the center of the pan, pour in 1 Tbsp. oil & chili powder.
- Add baked eggplant, stir well and cover.
- Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or until eggplant are cooked.
- Toss anchovies into skillet and stir-fry for another 3 minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste and garnish with red chilies & cilantro.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with steamed Basmati rice.