This casserole took about an hour to prepare which includes the 40 minutes of baking time. It is a twist on Chicken Divan which uses broccoli instead of the potatoes used here. I used skinless boneless chicken thighs, but I'm sure bone-in thighs would taste even better.
6 skinless boneless chicken thighs, halved
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut in thick slices
1 onion, sliced
4 oz. French's Fried Onions
4 stalks celery, chopped
1-1/4 (8 oz.) cups of fat-free half & half or milk
1 (10 oz.) can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
1 pkg. Hidden Valley dry ranch dressing mix
Salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. celery leaves, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season chicken thighs & potatoes with salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, brown potatoes and set aside.
- In same pan, brown chicken thighs and set aside.
- Place sliced and fried onions in an 8" x 8" glass baking dish.
- Layer browned potatoes over onions.
- Cover potatoes with chopped celery.
- Layer chicken, along with oil in pan, over celery in baking dish.
- Whip milk, soup and ranch dressing in a bowl.
- Pour over chicken and potatoes.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Garnish with diced celery and serve.