|Mouri Bata Diye Magur Maacher Jhol|
6 catfish steaks
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. fennel seeds
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbsp. ginger paste
½ tsp. turmeric
1 Tbsp. Kashmiri mirch or chili powder
2 + 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds, roasted and ground to a fine powder
½ tsp. sugar
salt to taste
4 green chilies, slit
1. Apply salt & turmeric to catfish and set aside to marinate for ½ an hour.
2. Make a paste with 1 tsp. oil, ginger paste, salt, Kashmiri mirch & 2 Tbsp. fennel powder.
3. Stir remaining 1 Tbsp. fennel powder and sugar with water and set aside.
4. In a skillet over medium-high heat, fry catfish steaks in oil and set aside.
5. In the same oil, fry fennel seeds until they sputter, then add the tomatoes.
6. Cook tomatoes with 1st batch of fennel paste until tomatoes break down.
7. Add a cup of boiling water, stir the gravy and adjust salt to taste.
8. Add fried catfish, bring gravy to a boil and add 2nd batch of fennel paste.