|Kacha Moong Dal with Methi Saag|
1 cup moong dal, washed and soaked in water for 30 minutes
1 bunch fenugreek greens, chopped, washed and drained
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 tsp. asafoetida powder (hing)
2 tsp. ginger paste
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 tsp. sugar
Salt to taste
1 tsp. ghee or melted butter
2–3 green chilies, sliced
1. Wash lentils until water runs clear and soak in hot water for half an hour.
2. Boil lentils in 2cups water with salt and turmeric until lentils are cooked.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds & hing and stir-fry for a minute.
4. When cumin seeds start to sizzle, add ginger paste and tomatoes.
5. Stir-fry until tomatoes break down and add fenugreek greens.
6. Cover and cook the greens for 2 minutes, then add cooked lentils & sugar.
7. Bring lentils to a boil, adjust salt to taste and remove from heat.
8. Garnish with ghee and chilies.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve with steamed rice or tortillas.