- Place squash cut side down on cutting board and slice horizontally then vertically into strips.
- Sauteé bay leaf, onions, tomatoes and white pepper in oil until onions turn translucent.
- Add squash, fish sauce & vinegar and simmer until juices evaporate and squash is tender.
- Adjust salt to taste and garnish with green onions.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
Monday, March 04, 2013
Burmese Stir-Fried Chayote Squash
Chayote squash is also known as choko or Darjeeling squash and may be replaced with zucchini or bottle gourd. Select light green chayote squash which indicate they're still young and sweet.
4 medium chayote squash, peeled & cut in half lengthwise
2 medium onions, peeled & chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. ground white pepper, or to taste
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. fish sauce (optional)
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 green onion, sliced
Salt to taste