3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ tsp. nigella seeds (kalo jeera)
2 Tbsp. posto (white poppy seeds)
4 Tbsp. black mustard seeds
1 large onion, sliced
¼ tsp. turmeric powder
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
Salt to taste
Pinch of sugar
5-6 plum tomatoes
1½ cups hot water
1 Tbsp. chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
3 green chilies
1 tsp. ghee
- Soak mustard seeds and 1 Tbsp. salt in tepid water overnight.
- Soak posto in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mustard and blend with posto.
- Marinate the fish slices for 10 minutes in turmeric & salt.
- Fry fish lightly on both sides and set aside.
- Add 3 Tbsp. oil to pan over high heat and add nigella seeds.
- When seeds begin to sputter, fry the onions and tomato paste until oil resurfaces.
- Add blended posto and mustard to the pan.
- Sauté for 3 minutes, add the hot water, plum tomatoes and fish pieces.
- Place lid on pan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste and add sugar.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, green chilies and ghee.